Left 4 Dead
Survival and horror video game from Valve Studios
- Category Action
- Program license Paid
- Works under: Windows XP / Windows Vista
- Program available in English
- Program by Valvesoftware
Left 4 Dead is a first-person shooter game that combines elements of horror with survival scenarios as you run for your life from zombies.
Released in 2008, the game starts off with clips that explain what happened to new players. You learn that the Green Flu spread across the city and turned humans into zombies. The game shows you four survivors who manage to get across the city and find a helicopter to take them away, but you then discover that the pilot has the infection. You then select one of the survivors and play as that character through multiple levels as zombies keep coming at you.
Though you only have a pistol at the start of the game, you have access to unlimited bullets. You can find and use other weapons in various levels, and the game lets you carry up to two weapons at the same time. Different levels will also introduce you to other weapons like knives and swords and to first aid kits that you can use to heal yourself after an attack. If your health meter runs out before you get to help, you die and must start the level over again.
Left 4 Dead includes four impressive game modes. Campaign mode is a cooperative mode that pairs you with one or more other online players. In versus mode you play as part of a team of survivors and a team of zombies. Survival mode sends you to a new area of the map and awards you points based on how long you survive the zombie enemies coming at you. It also includes a campaign mode that you can play by yourself. The game will send three artificial intelligence characters to assist you.
This game is easily one of the top zombie survival games of all time, which is why it inspired so many sequels. Many of these sequels cannot compare to the original though. It has a number of jump scenes that will get you out of your seat and plenty of action. While the traditional campaign mode lacks the action of the four-person campaign mode, you'll still want to try all of the modes. Some of the zombies are easier to take down than others, but you will find new and exciting action every time you turn on Left 4 Dead.
- Combines elements of science fiction, horror, and survival games
- Co-op campaign mode lets you play with up to three others online
- Includes four modes of play, including a survival and timed games
- Lots of exciting action and terrifying jump scenes
- Unlimited ammunition helps you progress faster
- Some zombies are too hard to kill
- Lower levels are too easy for experienced players
- Game play in single-player mode can feel boring
- Fewer online players since the release of newer games in the franchise